[whatwg] Enabling LCD Text and antialiasing in canvas

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jul 16 15:41:47 PDT 2013

This thread was gigantic and involved many proposals. I've only included
the last one below, since it seemed to take into account the most of the
feedback mentioned on the thread; I haven't responded to all the
intermediate e-mails which were mainly just a discussion amongst
contributors, and not direct feedback on the spec itself.

I haven't yet changed the spec. The main thrust of the feedback below ends
with the proposal to use WebGL's 'alpha' feature for the 2D context; is
this what implementors want to do?

[...]

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013, Stephen White wrote (with roc's annotations inline
prefixed with | and mine inline not prefixed):

> So let me take a stab at a brief summary of the proposals so far, and
> the pros and cons of each (correct me if I missed anything):

  opaque attribute or matteColor property
> pro:  fairly easy to implement
> pro:  no performance hit over regular rendering
> pro:  many opportunities for optimization
> pro:  catches all in-canvas cases of color fringing
> con:  does not handle any out-of-canvas color fringing
> con:  opt-in
| con:  requires changes to canvas compositing spec and possibly
|       implementations.
>
> automatic opacity detection
> pro:  catches most (all?) cases of in-canvas color fringing
> pro:  some opportunties for optimization (must be conservative in some
>       cases)
> con:  does not catch color fringing on CSS transforms, canvas -> WebGL,
>       etc
>
> context.textAntialising = { 'none', 'grayscale', 'subpixel' }
> pro:  very easy to implement
> pro:  no performance hit
> con:  does not catch any cases of color fringing; completely up to web
>       developer
> con:  opt-in
| con:  requires specification and implementation of what happens when
|       subpixel AA is drawn over transparent background.
>
> collect commands into a buffer, flush buffer only when compositing
> canvas to page, and decide on subpixel AA at that point.
> pro:  catches all cases of color fringing
> con:  in some cases, requires an infinite buffer (e.g., a canvas that
>       never clears, and only accumulates drawing frame-to-frame means
>       you must accumulate commands indefinitely)
        or giving up and using grayscale at some point
> con:  difficult to implement (e.g., canvas-to-canvas drawImage(), etc)
> con:  may introduce performance hit due to re-rendering with and without
>       subpixel AA (in cases where you would rather have just gone
>       without)
  con:  doesn't handle pixel manipulation cases (since you can't return
        two sets of pixels and you can't regenerate the stuff that script
        is generating based on the returned pixels)

> two buffers (one grayscale, one LCD AA)
> pro:  handles all cases of color fringing
> pro:  moderately easy to implement
> con:  RAM (or VRAM) usage is doubled
> con:  possibly-unnecessary performance hit
> con:  must be opt-in

[...]

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> I think Rik is convincing me that we shouldn't expose mozOpaque or any
> other explicit subpixel AA control to the Web. It will be very easy for
> Web authors to test it in one place and discover that it works without
> realizing that they're causing problems for some users.
>
> I think a fully automatic solution that tries to use subpixel AA but is
> always able to render grayscale AA if needed is the way to go. Possibly
> with an author hint to suggest opting into a more expensive rendering
> path.

[...]

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013, Gregg Tavares wrote:

> Sorry for only mentioning this so late but is there any chance to steer
> this to be more inline with WebGL?
>
> WebGL already has the option to have an opaque canvas using context
> creation parameters. In WebGL it's
>
>    gl = canvas.getContext("webgl", {alpha: false});

[...]

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013, Stephen White wrote:

> Here's a short proposal I've written up for the getContext('2d', {
> alpha: false } ) version of this idea (much of it culled from the
> mega-thread above).
>
> http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/CanvasOpaque

Seems reasonable; who is implementing this?

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013, Gregg Tavares wrote:

> What about a context attribute "antialiasRenderingQualityHint" for now
> with 2 settings "default" and "displayDependent"
>
>    context.antialiasRenderingQualityHint = "displayDependent"
>
> [...]

How about these, is anyone interested in implementing these?

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013, Stephen White wrote:

> As an example, the "darker" compositing mode was removed from the spec
> due to hardware-accelerated performance concerns, IIRC.

No, it was removed because it had no spec.