[whatwg] Requiring the Encoding Standard preferred name is too strict for no good reason

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Mon Jul 1 18:23:26 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> It seems bad, and maybe rather full of hubris, to make it conforming to
> use a label that we know will be interpreted in a manner that is a willful
> violation of its spec (that is, the ISO spec).

It's hard enough to get people to label their encodings in the first
place.  It doesn't seem like a good idea to spend people's limited
attention on encodings with "you should change your encoding label, even
though what you already have will always work", especially given how
widespread the ISO-8859-1 label is.

(FWIW, I wouldn't change a server to say windows-1252.  The ISO spec is so
far out of touch with reality that it's hard to consider it authoritative;
in reality, ISO-8859-1 is 1252.)

--
Glenn Maynard