[whatwg] HTML: A DOM attribute that returns the language of a node

Takayoshi Kochi (河内 隆仁) kochi at google.com
Mon Jul 15 18:18:20 PDT 2013

IIUC WebKit uses internally node's language to determine which font to use
to render text,
e.g for Han unification (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_unification)
WebKit has to choose
a proper glyph depending on its lang attribute for the same Unicode
codepoint.

Matt (falken@) knows more about this.

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 12:39 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jul 2013, Peter Occil wrote:
> >
> > Well, my true hope is that such a DOM attribute like "language" will be
> > specified in the HTML or DOM spec.  Especially since it's not currently
> > possible to get the language of a node through JavaScript methods alone.
>
> What's the use case for having this in HTML?
>
> --

Takayoshi Kochi