[whatwg] DOM Feature Mod: Add metering / parallelism & throttling options to AddEventListenerOptions

David Bruant bruant.d at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 01:36:05 PST 2017

Le 28/11/2017 à 00:48, Jonathan Zuckerman a écrit :
> You’re probably aware there are libraries that offer functionality of this
> sort (debounce and throttle in underscore/lodash is the one I’m most
> familiar with) and the web community seems content to add a small
> dependency when such functionality is required.
With all due respect, i think it's dangerous to start a sentence by "the
web community" given how broad and ever-changing this group of human
beings is.

For one data point, it's been 6 years that i regularly give advanced
JavaScript trainings to people who are already JS practitionners and
they don't know about the concept of event queue and barely about basic
perf advices (reduce round trips to a minimum, minimize the size of
what's sent, etc.). Debounce/throttling is further down the road.

By the logic of "the web community seems content to add a small
dependency", the 'once' option [1], probably shouldn't have seen the
light given how easy it is to rewrite. Same for 'passive'. Same for
Element.prototype.remove ("DOM4"). etc.
I'm glad they exist though.

David

[1]