[whatwg] HTML tags for POEM and MUSIC LYRICS

Brian Kardell bkardell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 07:40:03 PST 2017

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at domblogger.net>
wrote:

> On 12/11/2017 04:30 AM, Jirka Kosek wrote:
>
>> On 11.12.2017 11:39, Christoph Päper wrote:

>>> similar to embed MusicXML. Lyrics are a subset of musical notation and
>>> poems are, arguably, a special kind of lyrics (or the other way around).
>>>

>> This would require change to HTML parsing rules which ideally shoudn't
>> ever happen again.
>>
>> Easier approach is to use XHTML syntax and simply embedded fragment of
>> specific XML vocabulary. It's pity that extensibility has been largely
>> thrown away when HTML5 was designed.
>>

> I always serve my pages as application/xhtml+xml except when an honest bot
> asks for the page (Twitter, some accessibility testers, Google Page Speed,
> all have trouble with real XML - often either screwing up with the
> self-closing script tags or parsing it correctly as XML but adding junk
> after the closing tag somewhere in their processing)
>
> I've not tried as I don't think browsers would know what to do, but one
> should be able to add other XML namespaces to html5 served as proper XML,
> no?
>
> That's how we had to to MathML circa 2000 before HTML5 (and then if I
> recall only Mozilla knew what to do with the MathML) - the same thing
> should work if browsers knew what to do with MusicXML or whatever.

Sorry, I've read through a bunch of stuff mentioned here trying to not ask
a question with an obvious answer, but I'm not finding it so: Why exactly
would this need parser change?  Is there a reason that you could you not
float custom elements that did/meant precisely what you want to help prove
that whatever particular formulation you've come up with is the set that
should be used/integrated into an HTML standard?

--
Brian Kardell :: @briankardell