[whatwg] header for JSON-LD ???

Michael A. Peters mpeters at domblogger.net
Sun Jul 23 15:33:51 PDT 2017

On 07/23/2017 02:42 PM, Qebui Nehebkau wrote:
> On 23 July 2017 at 14:12, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at domblogger.net> wrote:
>
>> It's a beautiful way to create structured data separate from the content,
>> just like layout (CSS) is best kept separate from the content. [...] I
>> wonder why people on this list don't like it. Reading about it was an
>> epiphany for me, it's (in my opinion) the right way to do structured data,
>> and far superior to sticking a bunch of attributes in tags - just like CSS
>> selectors are far superior to sticking style attributes in tags.
>>

> I can't speak for anyone else - I can barely speak for myself - but I think
> I'd argue that, intuitively, if your structured data isn't logically part
> of your content, there's a good chance that it doesn't belong there at all.

It logically describes the content, and because it is separate from the
content it describes, is much easier to manage and inspect and bugfix.

Just for example, with an audio, I can describe the creator as a person
including the company the person works for etc. in JSON-LD without
needing to have tags in the content for those things to add attributes
to. That's information that is useful to machines especially when
linking different objects from domains together but it isn't necessarily
useful to the person reading the web page.

So keeping the structured data separate from the content allows richer
details to be added to the structured data for machines to read without
needing to alter the design intended for the human readers of the page.

Two audiences are thus served without needing to compromise the design
for either, both machine and human.

But the content for machines doesn't need to be sent to humans where
they don't care about it, hence the desire for a standard header
machines that do want it can send to have it included.