[whatwg] JavaScript function for closing tags

Michael A. Peters mpeters at domblogger.net
Sat Oct 14 01:13:23 PDT 2017

I use TextTrack API but it's documention does not specify that it closes
open tags within a cue, in fact I'm fairly certain it doesn't because
some people use it for json and other related none tag related content.

Some errors using the tracks in XML were solved by the innerHTML trick
where I create a separate html document, append the cue, and then grab
the innerHTML but that doesn't always work to close tags when html
entities are part of the cue string.

I use JS regex to turn <c.foo> into <span class="foo"> and <v whatever>
into <span data-voice="whatwever"> and just jQuery .append() to place
the cue in a div for captions/subtitles since browser standard html5
audio players have zero support for captions by themselves, and the
jQuery .append() is what needs closing tags in XML or it understandably
completely fails.

Also using it for chapters which don't appear to be supported in either
browser standard audio or video players.