[whatwg] Max-bandwidth (was Re: HTML : FEATURE SUGGESTION)

Roger Hågensen rh_whatwg at skuldwyrm.no
Mon Oct 16 10:24:23 PDT 2017

On 2017-10-14 17:03, Uday Kandpal wrote:
> may suggest you to kindly bring a new feature like unique resolution to be
> set for all the video being loaded on demand to lowest possible resolution
> so that unnecessary advertisement and videos do not consume the space
> irrespective of any adware remover or ad blocker.

I'm not sure if having web specification dictate artificial resolution
or bandwidth limitations is a good idea.

Also, browser will/can negotiate with the server. Either through the
server starting "low" then increasing bandwith/resolution until freame
start to drop.

Or through the use of alternative image resolutions in web pages

> Also kindly bring in a button for the user to change the multimedia
> resolution (image/video/applet/flash and other plugins) dynamically the
> same way Youtube provides for videos. It may require a change in the
> protocol for servers to convert the image to low resolutions before
> sending, but it can be reduced to the scope of HTML processiong or xml
> processing engine.

This can be done today through cookies or localStorage.

> I have heard that the android developers were saving their multimedia
> resource details in the XML Resource files.

The Android browser or video app developers?

One part of your suggestion do have merit though which I'll elaborate
on. Upon connection a browser could pass along a bandwidth hint to the
server.
Max-bandwidth: 8000000

Which would indicate that the browser desires the server to not send
more than 8mbit per second to the browser.
Such a max may or may not be the max of the line of the user, in some
cases a user may want to ensure that they have 2mbit free on a 10mbit
line and thus bandwidth limit video/datatransfer to 8mbit.

It could then be up to the browser UI/user settings if this limit is per
server or global for the browser, if global then the browser could halv
that 8mbit into 4mbit and 4mbit for the two sites. Or perhaps 6mbit for
video and 2mbit for non-video.

I'm not aware of any desktop browsers that have such features, I'm
uncertain about mobile browsers though.

--
Unless specified otherwise, anything I write publicly is considered
Public Domain (CC0). My opinions are my own unless specified otherwise.