[whatwg] META and bookmarking

Roger Hågensen rh_whatwg at skuldwyrm.no
Sat Feb 17 15:53:06 PST 2018

Add a link in the header and use rel=canonical which tells the browser
that the link is the correct url.

If all modern browsers actually uses the canonical url when you bookmark
a page I have no idea, ideally they should though. File a bug report
with the browsers if they don't.

Do note that search engines consider a slightly different meaning for
rel=canonical though.

I'm curious though why you do not want the users to bookmark the subpage
but the portal page instead.

Maybe rethink the design so that the portal (aka landing page) actually
does not auto redirect. Present a clickable image (href + image) that
the user can click or tap on. That way they can bookmark the portal page
before clicking onwards.

Also make sure the users can click a back button on the subpage to go
back to the portal page (call it Index or Home or Portal or something).

If you do not control these subpages yourself (they are somebody elses
sites) then no browser devs will ever let you hijack the bookmarking of
those. In this case you have a Directory/Indexing/Portal site and the
only solution is to wait for the user to click before you send them to
the foreign site. That way they can bookmark the portal site.

If the destination url contains a referral id of sorts then it's the
destination site's responsibility to remove it if it's single use.

I dare say that in the "majority" of cases if you are unable to do
something on the web today it's because you are doing it the wrong way.
I say "majority" because there are bound to be cases where this is not
true. But in your case you might need to re-evaluate the way you do the
redirect.

Now, I haven't seen your portal site so I'm just making assumptions here
so I apologise beforehand in case my assumptions are way off.

RH

--
Unless specified otherwise, anything I write publicly is considered
Public Domain (CC0). My opinions are my own unless specified otherwise.