[whatwg] Adding "ipfs" to the safelisted schemes

Mathias Rangel Wulff m at rawu.dk
Sat Jul 14 12:37:05 PDT 2018

Hi Domenic

Thank you for getting back to me.

> Without implementer interest, there's not much we can do on the spec
side.

Is it correctly understood that with "implementers" you refer to the team
behind each browser implementation? Firefox whitelisted "ipfs" as a safe
scheme in January 2018:
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/c2cb8a06bcf1

I know that Firefox is more "out there" being a trailblazer for new
features but it does indicate that  there is a case for adding "ipfs" to
the safelisted schemes provided in the HTML specs 8.7.1.3 "Custom scheme
handlers: the registerProtocolHandler() method"  (
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/system-state.html#safelisted-scheme)

> Unfortunately, we haven't had much success in getting implementers to
update this list.

Pressure is built one drop at a time.

- Mathias Rangel Wulff