[whatwg] <meter> rendering for case min == max

Roger Hågensen rh_whatwg at skuldwyrm.no
Sat Mar 24 12:07:11 PDT 2018

On 2018-03-19 12:49, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 11:13 AM, Mikko Rantalainen
> <mikko.rantalainen at peda.net> wrote:
>> The spec should specify one way or the other for this corner case.
>
> Agreed, we're tracking this in
> https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/3520. If anyone would like to
> help clarify the prose in the form of a pull request or wants to make
> a strong case for Firefox's behavior, that'd be much appreciated.
Is it possible the Firefox devs assumes that 0,0,0 infers this to be a
"unknown" progress state?
On Windows UI this tends to be shown as a a full but "pulsing" progress
bar, in a looping animation.
But I've seen UI design that also fills up the progress then clears it,
in a looping animation.

Thouigh one could easily "animate" this via just setting the values, so
even if 0,0,0 was speced to always show nothing one could still do the
"unknown"! behaviour.

Personally I think 0,0,0 should not only be empty but the actual
progress bar itself should not be drawn as it's in a non-state if you
know what I mean.
Which probably will be changed by some javascript moments later.

Treat 0,0,0 as it being there but just non-visible maybe?

Although I'm almost tempted to say that 0,0,0 should throw a warning in
the dev console log that a valid range must be set and that the value
must be within (inclusive) that range.

--
Unless specified otherwise, anything I write publicly is considered
Public Domain (CC0). My opinions are my own unless specified otherwise.