[whatwg] add html-attribute for "responsive images" Mathew Marquis

Anselm Hannemann – Novolo Designagentur anselm at novolo.de
Mon Feb 6 14:03:46 PST 2012

Irakli,

I think it is not about markup vs server-side-solution. Server-side is not a solution at all I think.

But it's about wether it's markup based (which means we also could serve different content in images on different resolutions which would be a feature!) or file-based as responsive (progressively downloading) image-format in WebP or other formats. But even if WebP gets such a feature it takes time to implement this in format and in browsers which would be quite more complicated as we have the codec-problems again here.

So I think we at least need a markup based solution. If we then will get a responsive file format some time it's great but we can't expect that now.
---

For the element's name I think either <image> (seems to cause trouble in older browsers but not sure if we have to support them? Mean it should work well and standardized in future not now…) or <picture> would be fine.

---

-Anselm