[HTML5] Best practice cheat sheet

Simon Pieters zcorpan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 07:30:49 PST 2007

Hi,

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:01:04 +0100, Keryx Web <webmaster at keryx.se> wrote:

> I work as a teacher (but do some development as well on the side).
>
> For the benefit of myself and my students i have strted to put together
> a cheat sheet of (X)HTML elements. Although only HTML 4.01 strict, XHTML
> 1.0 strict and XHMTL 1.1 Mobile are recommended to my students for use
> today, I include all of HTML 3.2, 4.01/X1.0 transitional/frameset, some
> XHTML 2.0 and all of (X)(HTML 5 as well as some proprietary elements as
> reference, to provide a historical perspective and some preparation for
> the future.
>
> Unlike other cheat sheets the emphasis is not on syntax, but on proper
> usage. Any feedback on my work is greatly appreciated.
>
> The cheat sheet is available (during development) at:
> http://keryx.se/wasp/html_elements_beta.pdf
> http://keryx.se/wasp/html_elements_beta.ods (Open Office Calc)
>
> it is primarily intended for print, but when it reaches 1.0 status, I
> will probably make an HTML version as well.

(<font> is only allowed for WYSIWYG tools, not for authors.)

The XML declaration and CDATA sections are not allowed in HTML5 (but they
are allowed in XHTML5). Technically though they are allowed in HTML 3.2
and HTML4, since the former is just a processing instruction in SGML and
CDATA sections are also allowed in SGML (not that they are generally
supported in HTML UAs though).

<tfooter> should be <tfoot>.

<wbr> isn't a soft hyphen, it's a "soft line break".

Framesets will not be in (X)HTML5 AFAIK.

According to the latest WD of XHTML2, the <h1> to <h6> elements are
present:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xhtml2-20060726/mod-structural.html#sec_8.5.

in HTML 3.2.

Nice work!