[HTML5] xml:base

Keryx Web webmaster at keryx.se
Thu Mar 8 10:49:16 PST 2007

Hi again on this list.

On the non-help list there has been a discussion if the <base> element
should be allowed in XHTML. Today the spec says that only the xml:base
attribute is allowed.

Since i got a few things wrong I am moving the discussion to this list.

These are my questions:

1. Is the xml:base attribute allowed in XHTML 1.0?

I thought so, but http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#strict says it is not in
the sense that if I use it my document is not "strictly conforming".
however one of the main points of using XML is the option of namespaces.
It may not be "strictly conforming" according to the DTD, but it is
strictly according to the philosophy of XML.

The spec also says that one *may* use it with other namespaces:

"3.1.2. Using XHTML with other namespaces

The XHTML namespace may be used with other XML namespaces as per
[XMLNS], although such documents are not strictly conforming XHTML 1.0
documents as defined above. "

To say that it is disallowed would be to strong, IMHO.

2. If I use the <base> element to specify one base url and the attribute
to specify another - admittedly bad design - which one should win over
the other? Testing in FFox the attribute does.

Simon Pieters kindly answered that one could use the together, i.e.
specify base url with the element and a path with the attribute. However
that was not what I was asking about.

Best regards

Lars Gunther