[html5] making standards-compliant charts

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Dec 26 23:06:13 PST 2008

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008, Matt Bonner wrote:

> I am especially interested to hear how HTML experts view efforts to
> create bar or line charts in HTML/CSS.

Graphs are, well, graphical. HTML would generally be inappropriate. :-)
I'd recommend using SVG or PNG for static graphs, with SVG or <canvas> for
dynamic graphs, and providing tables for people who can't view the graphs.

The <meter> element in HTML5, once implemented, might help with simple bar
charts (like quota displays).

HTH,