[html5] making standards-compliant charts

Matt Bonner mateubonet at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 29 16:52:36 PST 2008

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:

> Matt wrote:
> calling charts graphical to me seems overly simplified.

> I don't really see how the presence of characters makes this a simplification.

Well, to me, saying a chart is "graphical" implies that it is *only* graphical,
when clearly there are also textual elements in many charts, as your test
implies. Rendering chart text in an image means bigger, slower pages, ugly
zooming and little hope for assistive technology to extract meaning.

> Failing that, create a separate page and add a visible link to it.

That was my thinking, I just wasn't sure how that would be seen from an
accessibility standpoint.

thanks,
Matt