[html5] bufferedBytes removed from HTMLMediaElement?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Apr 27 22:21:04 PDT 2009

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Rik Sagar wrote:

> I just noticed from the latest draft the ByteRanges bufferedBytes
> property is no longer present on the HTMLMediaElements.  Why was that
> removed?

It's not as useful for user interfaces than an accurate time-based
equivalent, and browser vendors said they'd rather provide an accurate
time-based equivalent.

> In my implementation of media middleware my experience is that
> bufferedBytes is far better than TimeRanges buffered value for providing
> user feedback about buffering and a more accurate estimate of how
> buffering is progressing.

Surely users care more about where they can play than about bytes?

> The problem with generating and using the buffered value, is that the
> value cannot be accurately generated with some A/V content/containers.
> For example, take an MP3 file the mp3 'spec' does not require the exact
> duration or bitrate to be specified in the container.

The HTML5 spec requires deep inspection where the format doesn't provide
the information directly.

> I recommend putting the bufferedBytes property back into the media
> elements.

If you can convince browser vendors to implement it, I'm happy to add it
back.