[html5] <video> tag fallback

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Apr 29 23:19:25 PDT 2009

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Steven Garrity wrote:

> We're working on implementing the <video> tag to play a Ogg Theora video
> for a client. We're including a Flash playing in the "fallback content"
> for Internet Explorer.
>
> We're running into trouble with the lack of a common format, though.

Yeah. We really want to find a good format everyone is willing to use.

> It seems the current behaviour in Safari is that if the video format is
> not supported (Ogg Theora, for example), then the <video> player is
> shown (empty) rather than the fall back content.
>
> Is this the intended/spec'ed behaviour when no video format playable by
> the client is provided?

Yes. You can catch the error event (sent to the <source> elements if there
are any, otherwise the <video> element) to trigger fallback behaviour. Not
sure if Safari implements this event yet though.

> We've also attempted to work around this with the canPlayType()
> Javascript function to check for format/codec support and output a Flash
> play if the provided format(s) are not supported. However, Safari
> doesn't seem to have the canPlayType() function at all.
>
> Are we up a creek?

For now, probably. It's early days yet though.