[html5] (no subject)

Jim Meehan jrm at google.com
Wed Feb 11 07:52:28 PST 2009

The discussion about images sounds like you're slowly re-inventing
PostScript with its inline images. There is an elaborate commenting system,
the Document Structuring Convention, that added more and more information in
these "comments." Just as things were getting really crazy with the DSC, PDF
came along and solved all those problems in a much cleaner way, and it
pretty much marked the end of hand-written PostScript. (The Acrobat
Distiller compiled PostScript into PDF, and the Acrobat Reader converted PDF
into PostScript for sending to PostScript printers.)
So I second Ian's suggestion to consider SVG, which was a post-PostScript,
post-PDF invention. I'm not familiar with the details of SVG, and in a quick
look at some documents on the Web (e.g., Wikipedia), I didn't see anything
about inline images (image = "raster image," which is the opposite of
"vector graphics"), or even scalable non-inline images, but perhaps they're
there. In any case, there's already a pretty good wheel; no need to
re-invent it.

--Jim Meehan
(@Adobe 1993-2004)