[html5] Image captions in FIGUREs

Aen Tan hello at aentan.com
Mon Jul 13 16:01:01 PDT 2009

Dear friends,

I'm a designer with a background in UI design. Call me Aen and this is
my first post to the list.

I'm just adopted HTML 5 and have started using it for a site which I
will soon be launching. The reason I converted to HTML 5 is because
I'm attracted to the simplicity and flexibility of the syntax compared
to XHTML. I'm also a sucker for semantics because I believe
information should be flowing freely around the web and semantics
help. I'm using the FIGURE element to display images and I understand
the correct element to use for captions, for now, is the LEGEND
element. The thing is, it is unstyle-able. I hope one day WHATWG will
figure this out and let designers use CSS to style the LEGEND element
or call it something else. So for now, what do you guys use? I'm using

—
Aen Tan
Designer & Thinker

hello at aentan.com