[html5] mozilla, opera and mp3/aac codec

"~:'' ありがとうございました" j.chetwynd at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 28 10:24:20 PDT 2009

mozilla, opera and mp3/aac codec

opera and mozilla already play mp3 files, whether linked directly or
in a document such as:
http://www.honte.eu/audio/object.svg

This may not be native and via a third party application, though I
cannot tell.

so why cannot <audio /> mimic this behaviour already?
and why is the patent issue* blocking progress?

I cannot quite get the gist of what is being discussed in the lengthy
codec thread**

simple plain english where at all possible

cheers

Jonathan Chetwynd

**http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-June/020620.html

*   Opera refuses to implement H.264, citing the obscene cost of the
    relevant patent licenses.

    Mozilla refuses to implement H.264, as they would not be able to
obtain
    a license that covers their downstream distributors.