[html5] html 5 dtd

Stephen Caine stephen at commongrnd.com
Tue Mar 10 06:10:26 PDT 2009

All,

We are revising an application that uses a dtd for validating and
controlling a web form.  Specifically, a user is presented with a list
of available tags, each tag is then shown with allowable attributes
which are checked for the correct type of entry.  We also eliminate
the need for a user to enter closing tags by using a parent/child
outline layout.  This works great, but thinking about html 5, we are
concerned in that no dtd is envisioned.  What alternatives exists or
are contemplated for an html 5 dtd?

I would also like to know why an html 5 dtd cannot be created?  After
reading the specification, it appears that html 5 will contain tags
and attributes.  Furthermore, it appears that opening/closing tags are
still part of the specification.  Can't the html 4 dtd be modified to
accommodate html 5?

Thank you in advance,

Stephen Caine
Soft Breeze Systems, LLC