[html5] Transparent content model

Jordan Robert Dobson Jordan.dobson at madebysquad.com
Sat Oct 17 00:56:32 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 12:08 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Jordan Robert Dobson wrote:
>>
>> Can you recommend a reference where I can read up more on what a
>> transparent element is? I think I get it... but not 100%.
>
> The formal reference is the spec, but that might not help. :-)
>
>   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/content-models.html#transparent-content-models

This URL isn't working for me by the way. Here's a screen of what I
saw: http://cld.ly/902nu

> The basic idea is just that if in the markup you were to take the tags for
> the transparent element out, and it would still be valid, then it's ok:

> ...becomes:

> Does that make sense?

Yes that does.. thank you very much! I think it was just the error you
had before (when the page was loading) that mostly confused me. Your
example clears it up. :)

I think I understand your mention of the object tag being partly
transparent since if you removed the object tag it would be invalid if
it contained a source tag because source wouldn't have a proper parent
tag? Is that right?

--
Jordan Dobson
Owner + Director