[html5] Camera tag?

Patrick Mueller pmuellr at muellerware.org
Thu Sep 10 06:34:11 PDT 2009

Rik Sagar wrote:
> Not really what I was getting at!
>
> I'm suggesting an element that allows the _capture_ of video or still images
> - from a camera (webcam) accessible from the browser.  The video or still
> image can then be transferred to a server.

This seems like a perfectly natural thing to ask, as we're starting to
see the ubiquity of image/video capturing capabilities on the devices we
use to browse the web.  And there are already some Flash apps which can
do this, all within the browser.

It's complicated though.  We're talking about a capability of the
browser to write data to the server, so there's a bunch of security to
think about.  There's also figuring out how to let the user decide
whether images/video should be uploaded at all.  I don't want to browse
to some web site which surreptitiously starts uploading video content
without me knowing about it.

So while it might end up being just a new element, it will likely have
some non-trivial semantics and UA requirements around it.

--
Patrick Mueller - http://muellerware.org