[html5] Author of a quote - how to mark up?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Sep 14 00:36:50 PDT 2009

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009, Milan Brezovsky wrote:

> > Would you also ever need to retrieve, say, colour names? Or names of
> > ships? Or town names? Or prices? Or mortgage rates?
>
> What if someone eventually did? What to do if I wanted my own
> microformat for mortgage rates? Should I join the decentralized Babylon
> of companies creating their own microformats?

Yes.

> While managing microformats is clearly not an aim of HTML5 group,
> shouldn't there be at least some best practice guidelines for creating
> microformats? Shouldn't there be a hint as where to find a body
> concerned with central microformat repository, if one exists?
> (microformats.org doesn't count.)

Why does it not count?

With Microdata, we might eventually have a mechanism for registering
identifiers for that, for what that's worth.

> Shouldn't W3C be concerned with it? ("Leading WWW to its full potential
> by developing protocols and guidelines?")

The W3C these days are big fans of "decentralised extensibility", which
suggests they prefer not to have such a centralised system. But you'd have
to ask them.