[html5] html5 offline web apps

frank goossens futtta at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 15:03:52 PDT 2009

evening list;
apperantly the CC to help at lists.whatwg.org got lost while using gmail
mobile, i'll summarize what followed in the mail-conversation between
Ian and me;

* fgo: An example of "speeding up an online app" would be the google
gears implementation of the wordpress admin pages, where approximately
1Mb of files (js, images, ...) is stored locally. this makes loading
the admin-pages much snappier.
* Ian: such a case is not supported, the page itself should be static
while displaying data loaded from the server.
* fgo: that would require a thorough rewrite, whereas Google Gears
offers a simple drop-in solution. having a "blacklist" in the manifest
which defines files that should never be cached might have made that
possible
* Ian; the manifest wasn't intended to be a drop-in replacement for
making apps faster, it was intended to allow new apps to work offline

Thanks for the feedback Ian (and feel free to correct me if I
misquoted you). I hope this info can help others looking for answers
on how "offline webapps" works.

kind regards,
frank
--