[html5] Autoplay and preload insufficient for proper video playback.

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Aug 23 16:17:39 PDT 2010

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010, Herman Hassel wrote:

> I keep finding the media attributes "preload" and "autoplay"
> insufficient for video playback.

Before considering proposed alternatives, could you elaborate on how
"preload" is insufficient? (It's impossible for me to evaluate how the
proposed alternatives are better without knowing how the existing
solutions are bad!)

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010, Marques Johansson wrote:

> My server provides a pay-per-minute video-on-demand service.  I don't
> want the browser to request more than I am going to send it and in HTTP
> I have no way to tell the browser to use "Range: bytes 0-1000", let
> alone "Range: 0-" (which my service would refuse to serve).  My service
> would set the buffer attribute to an acceptable amount of time that my
> service would essentially be giving the user for free (something we
> already have to do in our Windows Media world).

Why don't you return what the browser is allowed to have, and then hang,
without closing the connection, until the user is allowed to get more?