[html5] css for video player

Eric Carlson eric.carlson at apple.com
Tue Feb 9 07:09:12 PST 2010

On Feb 9, 2010, at 7:03 AM, Mike Ressler wrote:

> I did the same and had the same complaint about TimeRanges.  Everything was easy with the canvas object, I just wished I could get access to the buffered range.  The native browser controls had it, but developers can't duplicate that effect.
>
> Anyone on this list have an idea when we could expect TimeRanges to be settled on in the spec?

  WebKit has supported the 'buffered' property for more than two years: http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/WebCore/html/HTMLMediaElement.cpp?rev=27277#L899. The initial implementation could only return a single buffered range, but that was fixed six months ago: http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/WebCore/html/HTMLMediaElement.cpp?rev=48267#L1479

  The Safari Reference Library has a good demo of a custom HTML5 <video> controller, http://developer.apple.com/safari/library/samplecode/HTML5VideoPlayer/. Description from the page is:

    This sample builds a video controller using CSS3 and HTML 5 — specifically, the
    HTML 5 <video> element, the HTMLMediaElement DOM interface, and CSS3
    Transitions and Transforms. JavaScript is used to pause, play, mute, control volume,
    seek through content in real time, and monitor the amount of video data that has
    been loaded. CSS3 is used to hide and show the playback controls.

    This sample illustrates several core media programming design patterns and general
    best practices for the Web. For instance, all aspects of presentation are handled
    by CSS, scripts are free of assumptions about CSS metrics or appearance, CSS
    classes reflect the UI state, and DOM events are used to trigger updates to playback
    state in the user interface.

eric