[html5] Understanding <nav> and <h1>

BlueBoden admin at blueboden.com
Wed Jan 20 09:42:12 PST 2010

Hallo Nathan..

You are wrong in thinking that it hurts your placement in the SERPs, using
Headings above navigation menus can be considered "correct", it is certainly
not invalid.
The Title of the navigation is to be considered a header, which also helps
screen-readers to navigate your site. Basically users using screen-readers
jump between headings on your page, until they find something of interest,
its therefor important to think about your headers.

What happens in the case of screen readers, is that when the user navigates
to a heading, (considered section on the page), it basically reads up loud
the "heading title", immediately followed by the content. In the case of
navigation, usually either an Unordered or Ordered list, (If the webdesigner
was usability-aware), screen readers will read up loud something like "List
of X Links".

It would make more sense to use H1s to indicate the navigation section, but
only if the navigation isn't in direct relation with the content. It is also
valid to have multiple H1s. It may seam "spammy" at first sight, but
headings for navigation has actually become an industry best-practice, due
to added usability.

If you are interested in SEO, then this wouldn't be the first thing to look
into. You should focus more on your content, keyword density, and consider
making use of breadcrumb links, which in many cases has a direct masurable
effect on your placement, or you can include an "see also" section in your
content, a combination will likely be most useful for your users.

BlueBoden
http://brugbart.com/