[html5] Understanding <nav> and <h1>

BlueBoden admin at blueboden.com
Thu Jan 21 11:33:04 PST 2010

A Heading is a Heading, regardless if its a part of an UI or a Document. You
can of cause use other elements such as P, but it wouldn't be correct to do
so.

SEs do not need to tell the navigation apart from your content to analyse
your page content. Even the links in your navigation pass on Anchor text and
PR internally on your domain, so if anything, it would only have a posetive
effect. There are however circumstances where it may effect your rankings
negatively, such as having a poor navigation/content ratio, where the
navigation makes up for the majority of the page content, this can be
minimized with a higher PR.

I don't know if google uses <nav>, at least i havent seen any official word.
But you could simply setup a page without description meta tag which uses
<nav> and/or <article>, and see if google generates the description from the
content. If it includes the anchor text of your navigation, then its safe to
assume that google currently don't use these elements.

Having that said however, you could simply include the content first in the
source, at least until HTML5 becomes a recommendation. This will not
restrict your layout options, since everything can be positioned using
floats combined with absolute/relative positioning. This would likely also
avoid having to much importance applied to navigitional headers, though this
is likely minimized along side your site growth, (due to google slowly
analyzing your page structure). There was a time where google only indexed
around 100 KBs of the entire page, which made SEO experts recommend the
beforementioned approach, its still useful in some circumstances.

I wouldn't personally rely on drafts, I'd rather wait until HTML5 becomes a
recomendation, hopefully sooner rather then later.

It dose not make much of a differance SEO-wise, if you use H1's, H2's, or
even P's for your navigation headings, Matt Cutts confirmed it for google a
while ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIn5qJKU8VM

BlutBoden
http://brugbart.com/