[html5] XHTML5 validator: Polyglot: works as both HTML and XHTML

J David Eisenberg jdavid.eisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 15:35:52 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:45 AM, J David Eisenberg
<jdavid.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On the page at http://validator.nu/, I'm not sure what this setting is
> supposed to do. When I give the validator the following HTML:

[snip]

> The validator reports no errors, but the document is not really
> polyglot, as the first opening <p> has no closing </p>.
>
> My goal is to check to see that I have an HTML document that follows
> all the XML rules for opening/closing tags, so that I can use XML
> tools on the document at some later point.

The last paragraph above was worded badly.  This (I hope) is better:

If the validator is indeed checking for a polyglot document, it should
check to see that the document follows all the XML rules for
opening/closing tags (so that, as per
http://www.w3.org/TR/html-polyglot/ i "may process the document using
XML tools."

The given document is valid with respect to HTML, but does not follow
the XML rules (the <p> is missing its closing tag). When I select the
"polyglot" option, I expect the validator to give me an error or a
warning for that document, but it does not.