[html5] page element?

Alastair Campbell ac at alastc.com
Fri Mar 19 02:12:06 PDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 12:59:02AM -0400, Mike Schinkel wrote:
> > It would be used for the visible portions of a page (vs. the non-visible
> > portions that are contained in the body like <script> tags and the CSS
> > visibility:hidden and display:none.
> >
> > If they are hidden, does it matter if they are in the body/page?
>
> Yes.  Example: (a multi-page wizard that uses Javascript to move from page
> to page):

If I were implementing that, I'd look at either having a multipage wizard in the traditional sense, or an AJAX version that replaces the main content of the page. If the latter, it would probably be the central content area that's replaced, not the 'page'.

> > > A screen reader would read what's inside this <page> element and typically
> > > ignore what's outside.
> >
> > As they do for body.
>
> Are you making a counterpoint?

Yes: body and page are interchangable in this case, therefore page is not needed.

You'd said that the things not visible were the scripts and things hidden with display: none. Screen readers ignore those things as well.

Kind regards,

-Alastair