[html5] A <ui> Tag?

Nathan Ziarek nziarek at gmail.com
Thu May 13 07:11:08 PDT 2010

> From what I
> gathered the newly added tags are all still oriented towards document
> creation.

You are right here, but I think this is the way it should be. HTML
documents are just structure. They don't have any notion of AJAX.

> With HTML5 being principled on
> improving our ability to create Web Apps I found it strikingly odd that in
> this age of AJAX I cannot semantically group my controls without having to
> invoke a refresh of my page every time a button is pressed.

This is the part I don't understand. When you write your web
application, have the JavaScript return false to all submit events.
While HTML5 will improve the ability to create apps, HTML is designed
to scale and fall back through progressive enhancement.

I think a <ui> element for semantic purposes -- telling search engines
that this information isn't part of the content of the page -- could
be useful (although I can't come up with a scenario where the new
elements won't suffice for my uses). A <ui> element used only to
change the default behavior of HTML (form submission, link navigation)
doesn't quite line up with my expectations.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue?