[html5] List Types

Herman Hassel herman at agrabush.com
Mon Oct 25 15:12:36 PDT 2010

On 23.10.2010 21:02, help-request at lists.whatwg.org wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've some discussions with my team.
> The first discussion was the correct use of the dl (definition list).
> Before the HTML5 the dl tag was a "definition list" n' the
> specification said that we should use in cases of dictionary data (Not
> usual for "Name: Jack", but usual for "Name: Nominal ID for a person").
> Now, in the new specification, the dl is "description list" and de
> definition is: "Name-value groups may be terms and definitions,
> metadata topics and values, questions and answers, or any other groups
> of name-value data.". So it's not more a discussion =)
>
> But other discussion is "ol" or "ul" for forms. What's more correct?
> Here a example by alistapart with use of "ol":
> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/prettyaccessibleforms/
>
> In HTML5 spec says: "The |ol
> <http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec-author-view/grouping-content.html#the-ol-element>|
> element represents
> <http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/rendering.html#represents> a list of
> items, where the items have been intentionally ordered, such that
> changing the order would change the meaning of the document."
>
> I think that the correct is use ul, because, for example, in a form
> with "name" n' "age" if we change the order of fields, the meaning is
> the same.
>
> What do you know?
>
> []'s
> --
> Renatho De Carli Rosa
>
> Grifo
> Desenvolvimento Client-side com inteligência.
>
> Av. Loureiro da Silva, 2001 / 917
> Porto Alegre, RS
>
> renathoc at hotmail.com <mailto:renathoc at hotmail.com> (MSN)
> renatho.rosa at grifotecnologia.com.br
> <mailto:renatho.rosa at grifotecnologia.com.br> (Gtalk)
> renathoc (Skype)
>
> www.grifotecnologia.com.br <http://www.grifotecnologia.com.br>
> +55 51 3084.7760
> +55 51 9996.7650
Hi

We had the same heated debate a few months ago when it came to lists and
forms. We concluded that using any list element to keep the label and
input elements apart was redundant (although it does look kinda cool).
The list element just didn't provide anything of semantic value to the
form. We still needed to group each label and input for styling needs,
hence we decided upon using div elements.

A simplistic example of how we do forms now:

<form>
<fileset>
<legend>Personal Info</legend>
<label for="full_name">Full Name:</label>
<input name="full_name" type="text" />
<label for="full_address">Full Address</label>
<input name="full_address" type="text" />
</fieldset>
<fieldset>
<legend>Billing</legend>
<!-- billing: visa, mastercard etc ... separated from personal info by
the fieldset element -->
</fieldset>
<button type="submit" name="save">Hook me up!</button>
</form>

We'd be happy to get some feedback on this way of doing forms, if anyone
has a better idea when it comes to the semantics.

--
Herman Hassel
Agrabush Design

mail:    herman at agrabush.com