[html5] Updating to XHTML 1 to HTML5

Brenton Strine whatwg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 00:07:46 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> If you were using XHTML 1.1 correctly, you generally don't have to do
> anything (not even change the MIME type or DOCTYPE). However, you can
> check here:
>
>   http://html5.validator.nu/

I am talking about abandoning XHTML and moving over to HTML5. I assume
that serving it as application/xhtml+xml when the document will no
longer necessarily be enforcing strict XHTML syntax, (e.g. abbreviated
boolean attributes) is not going to work, and likewise, wouldn't the
doctype need to be switched as well?

I guess I was more wondering if there are XHTML syntactical things
that are not valid HTML5, or even things like MathML... will HTML5
understand valid XHTML MathML?

Brenton