[html5] Updating to XHTML 1 to HTML5

Alastair Campbell ac at alastc.com
Thu Sep 2 04:24:31 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 10:05:37AM +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> Oh if you want to switch from XHTML to HTML (any version), then that's a
> bit more work. You'll have to change from the XML syntax to HTML.

I've had to switch between HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 a few times, and the XHTML>HTML route is generally easier, a search and replace on:
/>
for

will get you most of the way.

Brenden, was there anything you *needed* XHTML 1.1 for, or was did you use that because it seemed the best choice at the time?

You mentioned MathML, so I guess if you've used that, a little more advice (or a link) might help more than "more or less" ;)

Not something I've looked into, but these look like good starting points:
http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/~distler/blog/archives/000959.html
https://eyeasme.com/Joe/MathML/HTML5_MathML_browser_test.html
http://intertwingly.net/blog/2008/04/11/SVG-and-MathML-Annexes-to-HTML5

Kind regards,