[html5] types of HTML content

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Tue Sep 14 14:38:26 PDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Brenton Strine <whatwg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having a difficult time understanding the functionality and
> relationships between the different content types. However, my only
> resource right now is the W3 draft
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/content-models.html#kinds-of-content).
> Does anyone know of a slightly less technical introduction to content
> types or some sort of abridged, simplistic explanation of what they do
> and how they work?

    * Metadata content
Is data is that not part of the content per se. It reflects data about
the document.

    * Sectioning content
    * Heading content
These two are used by the outlining algorithm. The former marks the
scope of the latter.

    * Phrasing content
This is the core of your document. Other types of data group phrasing content

    * Embedded content
This type of data imports other documents or files.

    * Interactive content
This is primarily for content that a user could interact with and
modify. It is special because it has "activation" events.

    * Flow content
Is whatever doesn't fit anywhere else ;-)

--
Eitan Adler