[html5] Abbreviated title tags render a blank background?

Nathan Neff nathan.neff at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 01:50:05 PDT 2011

Hello,

I apologize in advance if this question is in a FAQ somewhere or has
been asked already on this mailing list.

I have a simple HTML page that has a blank <title> element that's
expressed using <title />
This is probably incorrect/invalid (x)HTML.  The issue I have is how
certain browsers handle this problem.

For example, Firefox 3 "correctly" renders the body
of the html file below.  (For a live example, see
http://codewagon.org/title_element.html)

    <head>
<title />
    </head>
If you <br />see this body, you're probably not using Chrome or Firefox 4.
Chrome and Firefox 4 do not show this text.

Firefox 4 and Google Chrome only render a blank background.

Is this behavior a rule of HTML 5?  If not, I find it odd that both
Firefox4 and
and Chrome both render a blank page.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,