[html5] Video Security

Patrick Horgan phorgan1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 10:12:56 PST 2011

On 02/12/2011 05:23 AM, Dmitry Kharlamov wrote:
> created for the video interface. In other words, it would be nice to
> disallow video download without any hacks, so people can view it but
> can't download it if the publisher doesn't want to. I mean, you can
> use Google search, or you could buy their search servers for your
> enterprise but they weren't obliged to let you have a look at the
> source code and download it.
The problem is, that once those bits are streaming to a viewer they can
be captured and saved.  There are plugins for browsers to do that
already.  Once the data streams to the user it's out of your control.
Viewing, in effect, has to be considered the same as saving because
you've already turned the bits over to them and you don't have control
over the software they're viewing with.  This doesn't just apply to the
html5 video, but is also true about flash.

Patrick