[html5] HTML5 without namespaces

Jesper Tverskov jesper.tverskov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 04:21:21 PDT 2011

As I have understood it, 8.1.2. Elements, HTML5 served with
"text/html", that is HTML parsing, ignores all explicit namespace
declaration.

But they are allowed if the HTML5 spec supports them implicit. A
prefixed element name is no longer a namespace prefix in HTML5, the
prefix and the colon is part of the local-name.

I repeat my question:

What do we do the day we would like to support some new exciting
application not mentioned in the HTML5 spec. Do we have to make a new
spec to support the new namespace in the implicit way or what?

We can use XHTML5 instead (HTML5 served with mimetype
"application/xhtml+xml"), having an explicit namespace mechanism, and
we must declare the new markup in the schema, it we want our XHTML5 to
validate, but it is unlikely that any new application, that cannot be
integrated into "HTML5" served with mimetype "text/html", will ever be
implemented by the browsers?

Cheers
Jesper Tverskov
http://www.xmlplease.com