[html5] empty cells

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed May 11 20:00:00 PDT 2011

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011, webmaster wrote:

> I'm seeing what I think is a bug in Safari with regard to empty cells in
> a table. I have a restaurant dinner menu marked up as a table:
>
> http://www.tenmercer.com/menu/dinner

> (thanks to hixie for the scope="rowgroup" suggestion a couple of weeks
> sheet has a rule to place a border-bottom on tbody tr:first-child. In
> Firefox, the border extends across the table, but not in Safari.

Yeah, that seems like a bug in the CSS border rendering for tables. I
recommend filing a bug at http://bugs.webkit.org/. Feel free to cc me
(ian at hixie.ch is my account).

> I tried to find something in the html5 spec

It's a CSS bug, not an HTML bug.

> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#table-model
>
> Is there something more recent regarding how browsers should calculate
> the number of cells in a table?

The above spec, or this version of it (it's basically the same document):

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete/tabular-data.html#table-model

...describes the semantics of the table (including what cells it has), but
as far as rendering the borders go, CSS is what matters, specifically in
this case the collapsed border model:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#collapsing-borders