[html5] When labels point to more than one input

brenton strine whatwg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 11:03:10 PDT 2012

As I understand it, multiple <label> elements can point to the same input,
but one <label> can not point to two or more inputs. That makes sense, but
it poses a problem for me when designers have created labels that apply to
more than one input. What is the most semantic way to do this?

Basically, it's laid out like a table. For example:

------------ Color ---- Volume
Morning
Noon
Evening

Color can't be a label, because it corresponds to 3 inputs. Morning can't
either, because it corresponds to two. I guess this looks semantically
tabular... is there any other way to do this without using a table? Are
there non-tabular times when one label would need to point to more than one
input?

Brenton