[html5] Is html5.validator.nu wrong about <input>

Prof. T.D. Wilson wilsontd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 03:02:21 PDT 2012

I'm in the process of converting my site (informationr.net/ir) from xhtml
to html5

When I check a page with html5.validator.nu I am told:

*Error*: Attribute maxlength not allowed on element
input<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-input-element>
at
this point.

>From line 342, column 2; to line 342, column 206

ht:32;">↩ *<input type="hidden" name="q" maxlength="255" size="31"
value=""health information" (&quo…ormation seeking" or
"information searching" or "information use") Canada">*<br
/>

However, all the information I can find about both 'maxlength' and 'size'
(which is also rejected in the same way) tells me that both are permitted
in html5. Is the validator wrong on this?

Many thanks for any help,

Tom Wilson

Professor T.D. Wilson, PhD, Hed.Dr, PhD (h.c.)
Publisher and Editor in Chief: Information Research:
an international electronic journal
Website - http://InformationR.net/ir/ <http://informationr.net/ir/>

Blog - http://info-research.blogspot.com/
Photoblog - http://tomwilson.shutterchance.com/