[html5] microdata itemref

Brian Tremblay webmaster at tsmchughs.com
Mon Dec 10 16:06:23 PST 2012

On 12/10/12 3:49 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2012, Brian Tremblay wrote:
>
>> everything else is necessary: a restaurant, with an event, hosted
>> by a person, employed by a winery. I don't know if anyone does
>> anything with events microdata right now. But if they did, they
>> might search for wine events at Seattle restaurants, or search for
>> events featuring a winery they like, or wines from a region they
>> like.
>>
>> I dunno. Maybe this whole thing is a waste of effort on my part.
>
> If you're getting something out of it (e.g. prettier search results
> snippets in search engines), then it's worth it.

Only rarely -- with specific searches -- do I see rich snippets in
search results. It's so rare, that I can't duplicate those results.

> If not... I generally don't recommend solving problems that don't yet
> exist. :-)

That's certainly good advice.

I keep waiting for Google to include my rich snippets more consistently.
I'd also think that there would be a market for restaurant searches
where my microdata could prove useful, perhaps to find restaurants
serving a certain cuisine. But there's no way to know if *anyone* is
using it.

There are browser tools to help users process data (to add an event to
their calendar, for example), but they seem to be limited to
microformats right now. And how many people actually use such tools?

In the end, you're probably right: there's no point in doing this
without knowing whether it's useful.

--
Brian Tremblay