[html5] Markup feedback: Articles on a "section front" page & a list of bloggers...

Brian Tremblay webmaster at tsmchughs.com
Mon Jun 11 12:07:28 PDT 2012

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Brian Tremblay wrote:
>> On 6/10/12 5:24 PM, Micky Hulse wrote:
>>> "HTML5: Marking-up a list of bloggers."
>>> <https://gist.github.com/2907817>
>>
>> First, your page header. You don't need <header> markup. The sub
>> heading is redundant. All you need is "Bloggers at site.com", in
>> which case you can lose the <hgroup> markup.
>
> This is just a "pseudo" example, and I was trying to keep things
> concise; I plan on including a more unique subheading for the real
> thing; for this example I did not want to go into those types of
> specifics. Sorry about the confusion. :(

I'm not confused. But if this is intended for others to use or learn
from, it is quite likely that *they* will be confused (unless they
already know better). Be as concise as possible, but no more.

>> blogger doesn't have her or his own page, how about a real fragment
>> id?
>
> Hehe, again, sorry for the confusion. I plan on linking to the actual
> blogger's blog index pages for the real thing... I was just trying to
> keep my example free of clutter.

A real looking url is not clutter. A fake looking url is confusing.

>> Third, your alt text is bogus. Alt text is a *replacement* for the
>> image, not a description of it. Since the name appears in the page
>> anyways, next to or below the image, the alt attribute should be
>> empty: alt=""
>
> Oh, good point! I was wondering about that. That must be a bad habit
> of mine. :(

The alt attribute of the img element is pretty old. You'll want to
master that before tackling new html5 elements, no?

> I plan on having portrait/mugshots of each blogger for the images;
> just out of curiosity, let's say the name was not next to the
> image... What would you suggest the ALT text be?

The name (and not "portrait of..."). So John Doe, and not "portrait of
John Doe".

--
Brian Tremblay