[html5] Thread about runat (or "server") attribute in WHATWG mailing list

Markus Ernst derernst at gmx.ch
Mon May 14 05:14:25 PDT 2012

Hello

I hope this is the appropriate place for my question; otherwise feel
free to ignore it.

I read a discussion on an attribute to specify server-side Javascript in
the WHATWG mailing list. Now I do not know a lot about server-side
Javascript, but I know that server-side code does usually (well, at
least in the scripting languages I am familiar with) not appear in HTML,
but rather the results of the server-side execution of that code. Thus I
am very surprised to read HTML experts discuss about server-side stuff.
Why should server-side code appear in the HTML spec?

Thanks for enlightening me!
Markus