[html5] microdata and the dl element

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com
Sun May 20 01:01:20 PDT 2012

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Brian Tremblay <webmaster at tsmchughs.com> wrote:
> I've marked up a restaurant menu using the <dl> element, with a <dt> for
> each item, followed by 2 or more <dd> elements, one for price, description,
> and, where appropriate, additional options.
>
> I want to add microdata product markup (http://schema.org/Product) but can't
> find a way to do it. It seems like I need a wrapper for each menu item

No. You can use @itemref:

    http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/microdata.html#attr-itemref

For example:

 <dl>
    <dt id=artichokes
        itemscope
        itemtype=http://schema.org/Product
        itemref="artichokes-offers artichokes-description">
    </dt>
    <dd id=artichokes-offers
        itemprop=offers
        itemscope
        itemtype=http://schema.org/Offer>
    </dd>
    <dd id=artichokes-description itemprop=description>
      Diced artichoke hearts baked in a cheddar-parmesan sauce.
      Served with our Irish soda bread and molasses wheat bread.
    </dd>

    <dt id=shrimp-cocktail
        itemscope
        itemtype=http://schema.org/Product
        itemref="shrimp-cocktail-offers shrimp-cocktail-description">
    </dt>
    <dd id=shrimp-cocktail-offers
        itemprop=offers
        itemscope
        itemtype=http://schema.org/Offer>
    </dd>
    <dd id=shrimp-cocktail-description itemprop=description>
      A half pound of chilled shrimp with our cocktail sauce.
    </dd>

  </dl>

> which I sort of think should be there anyways.

This has been discussed many times before, mostly recently at:

http://www.w3.org/Search/Mail/Public/advanced_search?keywords=&hdr-1-name=subject&hdr-1-query=%3Cdi%3E+please&hdr-2-name=from&hdr-2-query=&hdr-3-name=message-id&hdr-3-query=&period_month=&period_year=&index-grp=Public__FULL&index-type=t&type-index=public-whatwg-archive&resultsperpage=100&sortby=date-asc

The editor's take was that features should be added to CSS to support
styling definition names and values as groups.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis