[html5] Distinguish main article from comments

Prof. T.D. Wilson wilsontd at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 04:07:55 PST 2012

I'd agree with this one - I think it is rather unfortunate that so much
attention is paid to blogs as the 'standard' information type when
discussing html5 - it seems that every book I've seen quotes blogs as their
key examples.  It would be much better to think of the magazine article as
the typical <article>, since lengthy articles of this type often have
separately headed <sections> consisting of several paragraphs.  "Section"
is appropriate for the comments section of a blog, but a new tag <comments>
would be even more useful!

On 23 November 2012 09:50, Vahagn <vahagnh at gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I understand, the "article" tag is for marking up self-contained
> pieces of content. In other words, content that can be taken out of context
> and distributed / reproduced elsewhere as a separate unit, with no loss of
> meaning.
>
> Wrapping each comment into it's own "article" tag seem to be wrong for
> that reason. A comment, taken out of the context of the article and other
> comments, would not represent a meaningful, self-contained piece of
> content.
>
> Here's how I'd mark up the example above:
>

> > <article>
> >   <h1>Cicero dictos est</h1>
> >     Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur
> >     adipisicing elit,
> >     sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut
> >     labore et dolore magna aliqua....
> >   <section>
> >     <h1>comments</h1>
>
> >       <h2>bonus est</h2>

> >        your Latin is excellent!</p>
>
> >       <h2>malus est</h2>

> >        you misspelled "dictus", you moron</p>
>
> >   </section>
> > </article>
>

> Less markup, too.
>
> / Vahagn
>

> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

>> > I'd say:
>> >
>> > <article>
>> >   <h1>Cicero dictos est</h1>
>> >     Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur
>> >     adipisicing elit,
>> >     sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut
>> >     labore et dolore magna aliqua....
>> >   <section>
>> >     <h1>comments</h1>
>> >     <article>
>> >       <h1>bonus est</h1>
>> >        your Latin is excellent!</p>
>> >     </article>
>> >     <article>
>> >       <h1>malus est</h1>
>> >        you misspelled "dictus", you moron</p>
>> >     </article>
>> >   </section>
>> > </article>
>> >
>> > That way, the comments are a part of the article, as they should be, but
>> > each within its own article, and all of them inside a section. So each
>> > comment is 2 levels down from the main article.
>>
>> That's indeed what the spec suggests.
>>
>> --
>> Ian Hickson               U+1047E                )\._.,--....,'``.    fL
>> http://ln.hixie.ch/       U+263A                /,   _.. \   _\  ;`._ ,.
>> Things that are impossible just take longer.   `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.'

Professor T.D. Wilson, PhD, Hed.Dr, PhD (h.c.)
Publisher and Editor in Chief: Information Research:
an international electronic journal
Website - http://InformationR.net/ir/ <http://informationr.net/ir/>

Blog - http://info-research.blogspot.com/
Photoblog - http://tomwilson.shutterchance.com/