[html5] 4.01 vs XHTML

Bjartur Thorlacius svartman95 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 14:42:09 PDT 2012

David Osborne wrote:

> If I am writing in Html 4.01... is this really bad...??
> When I put in the declaration of which type of HTML - 4.01 transitional
> show how old my software is...?
HTML 4.01 is fine if you don't need any of the new features of HTML 5.

> What disadvantages am I exposing myself to...

Most importantly, not using elements such as <nav> may make your site
less accessible. Accessibility is more involved than just changing DOCTYPEs.

> XHTML - what is the difference between it and html 4.01??

There are slight syntactical and extensibility differences. If you don't
need the extensibility of XHTML (which you probably can't quite leverage
anyway), you should probably stick with HTML. The WHATWG is essentially
deprecating XHTML for most purposes.

XHTML is still useful inside XML documents, for example. But stand-alone
XHTML is not recommended.