[html5] Could HTML5 apps replace Desktop apps?

Andrew de Andrade andrew at deandrade.com.br
Mon Oct 15 18:05:40 PDT 2012

If you want to get an idea of how powerful some of the client-side
javascript libraries are getting you can check out the video demos at
http://famo.us/ and catch Steve Newcombs presentation tomorrow at the
HTML5devconf. He's going to go into a bunch of details on how that
level of performance was achieved.

Besides that, my favorite HTML5 apps in terms of utility and
performance are Asana and Flow App. Asana is based on their own
internal code and Flow is based on Backbone.js with a custom view
later (they built it on version 0.3.3 when it was still relatively
immature, so they had to make their own parts for composite views).

best,
andrew

disclaimer: I work for famo.us. But to be fair, I joined them after
seeing some of their tech in person 4 months ago. I've learned more
about how to make HTML5 apps performant in that time than more than a
year working with HTML5 before that to build the mobile app at
improvisu.com

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Micky Hulse <mickyhulse.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> My .00002 cents?
>
> There's nothing better than a cool native desktop app from the Mac app store...
>
> Seems to me, desktop AND web apps are growing leaps and bound
> together; the (just now made up) term "app symbiotic synchronicity"
> comes to mind. :D
>
> I can't comment on Windows apps.
>
> Lastly, and I know you were referring specifically to desktop apps,
> but I'm wondering if Zuckerberg's comments from last month have any
> bearing on this topic?
>
> For reference:
>
> "HTML5 is dead. Long live HTML5!"
> <http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57511142-93/html5-is-dead-long-live-html5/>
>
> Great question!
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> hulse.me

Q: Why is this email four sentences or less?
A: http://four.sentenc.es